W.I.N. Wednesday: 7 Keys to change beliefs and harness your power.
Within you right now is the power to do things you never dreamed possible. This power becomes available to you just as soon as you can change your beliefs.
Dr. Maxwell Maltz
We all have beliefs about ourselves. Some of those beliefs are positive, some are negative. The negative beliefs serve to limit what we can accomplish and achieve. These are beliefs about our ability to lose weight, our ability to get a promotion, our ability to a marathon (or run a sub 3 hour marathon), our ability to earn a certain amount of money, our ability to be successful in job interviews, our ability be a great speaker, our ability to write a book or our ability to sell a product or an idea.
The positive beliefs and images are things we are good at and have a positive self image for.
The limiting beliefs are those areas where we feel we have limited strengths and talents and believe we can never be any good at, or at least never be great at something. The limiting beliefs are the ones holding us back from achieving what we are often fully capable of. So, how do we change those limiting beliefs.Here are 7 keys to changing those limiting beliefs:
- Identify one goal that you truly want to achieve, but feel something is just holding you back.
- Come up with your why. Why that goal is important to you? If it is not important and meaningful to you then they it is someone else’s goal, and not yours.
- Create a powerful image in your mind of what you will feel like, look like, act like, think like and be achieving when you accomplish each goal. Identify what will be different for you in positive terms. (I will have more confidence, I will have more energy, etc)
- Identify one main limiting belief that is holding you back. Hint: This is that little voice in your head that keeps tell you you are not good enough, strong enough, smart enough, educated enough, too big, too small, too educated, not educated enough, the wrong body type, etc.
- Change your self talk regarding the goal and your ability to achieve it. Take your future desired end state and start talking to yourself like that is already your reality. The key is to start talking to yourself like you have those skills and abilities.You can:
- Act as if, or
- Fake it until you make it, or
- Believe it until you achieve it.
- Make an action list of the things you need to do in order to accomplish the goal:
- The action steps (starting small and building) you need to take starting now.
- The resources you need to access.
- The people you need to ask for help to achieve that goal.
- Use Life’s Most Powerful Question - What’s Important Now? to ignite your action and continue to use it every day as a guide to keep you inspired and on track.
Make sure you let me know about your successes so I can share them and you can inspire other members of the W.I.N. Wednesday community.
Committed to the pursuit of excellence through Life's Most Powerful Question - What's Important Now?
Please share this with your friends, family and co-workers and encourage them to go to www.lifesmostpowerfulquestion.com and subscribe so they never miss an issue of W.I.N. Wednesday.
Contact me at email@example.com to arrange for me to speak to your team, your organization or at your next conference.